All around the world, golf-related terms have not been translated into various languages but have remained in English. Golfers can travel pretty much anywhere and be able to play golf without major language setbacks. This is also the case in Italy.
Nevertheless, a better communication means less stress, less chances of misunderstandings and getting things done (playing golf) more quickly. And if you are a foreigner trying to speak Italian – even just using a couple of words you have learned or that you are trying to read from a vocabulary, chances are that your efforts will be rewarded with a warmer smile and perhaps even some extra attention/help.
For this reason, we have compiled a mini Italian golf dictionary so that you can have a look through the words that are still used in English and the ones that have an Italian translation. If you need any help on how to read simply search for “italian pronunciation” on Google and you will find lots of tutorials.
English words are used in Italian for….
- Equipment: Driver, putter, pitching wedge, sand wedge, grip, tee, trolley, cart, spike
- Score/Competition: Albatros, eagle, birdie, par, bogey, handicap, flight, starter, hole-in-one
- Golf course: Bunker, fairway, green, rough, pitchmark, club house, caddie
- Shots: Swing, drive,dogleg, draw, fade, pull, push, hook, slice
Italian golf words:
Bastone or Mazza (plural: Bastoni or Mazze) Club(s)
Buca (plural: Buche) Hole(s)
Campo pratica Driving range
Campo da golf Golf course
Gettone (plural: Gettoni) Token(s)
Gara Competition, match
Sacca Golf bag
Spogliatoio Locker Room
Useful Italian sentences at a golf club:
Un green fee 18 (diciotto) buche one 18-hole green fee
Un green fee 9 (nove) buche one 9-hole green fee
Un gettone per il campo pratica one token for the driving range
Vorrei noleggiare un set di bastoni I would like to rent a set of clubs
Dov’è la club house? Where is the club house?
Dove sono gli spogliatoi? Where are the locker rooms?
For a touch of courtesy, add “Per favore” (please) before or after each sentence.
Other Italian golf sentences
Voglio giocare a golf I want to play golf
Dov’è il campo da golf più vicino? Where is the closest golf course?
Io amo il golf I love golf
If you are traveling or planning to travel to Italy for a golf vacation, you can count on IGolfItaly’s local support services!
Golf Vacation in Italy: play in the best golf courses
Not all courses are equipped to provide great service and facilities for travelers. If you are planning a golf vacation in Italy and are looking for the best golf courses, IGolfItaly can be your local partner and help you find the best solutions for a stress-free experience. We do all the “dirty” work you don’t want to do. You need the local knowledge to pay the right prices and enjoy Italy as the Italians do, avoiding tourist traps and unpleasant surprises. This is what we can do for you:
- Local authenticity: we organize your golf experience so that it blends in with the local culture, sights, restaurants and customized activities you choose
- Train with style: we help you improve your game through organized training sessions with our golf clinics and qualified team of professionals
- Location, location, location: we select the best and challenging golf courses in Tuscany (or, upon request, in the rest of Italy) where you can test your skills and enjoy beautiful settings
- Customer service: we can provide assistance in all the aspects of your golf trip including logistics, bookings and travel advice; plus tips on where to eat and sleep, from sea-view independent apartments to golf resorts, from budget or luxury hotel rooms to rustic bed & breakfasts